SINGAPORE, June 4 (Xinhua) -- A high-ranking Chinese military official Saturday refuted U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter's "self-isolation" claims about China.
"Carter's claims are incorrect and do not accord with the actual situation," Guan Youfei, director of the Office for International Military Cooperation of the Chinese Central Military Commission, told the media.
Guan's comments came after Carter's claims at the ongoing Shangri-La Dialogue that China's military activities in the South China Sea would isolate itself.
Guan said the United States should learn lessons from the wars it had waged in the Asia-Pacific region after World War II and play a constructive role in the region.
Guan urged the United States to keep its security pledges, withdraw troops from Afghanistan as soon as possible, stop arms sale to China's Taiwan and refrain from holding military drills on the Korean Peninsula.
Guan said China has made great efforts in promoting international and regional security cooperation since its reform and opening-up, and China's achievements in areas such as peacekeeping, disaster relief and naval escort missions are obvious.
China will continue to enhance cooperation with other Asia-Pacific countries under the Belt and Road initiative in various fields, the Chinese military official added.
The U.S. defense secretary had earlier made similar accusations against China in a speech delivered at the U.S. Naval Academy. The Chinese Foreign Ministry had responded, saying such claims reflected "American-style mentality" and "American-style hegemony."
Pentagon chief's China "self-isolation" claims incorrect: Cambodia
SINGAPORE, June 4 (Xinhua) -- U.S. defense secretary's China "self-isolation" claims are incorrect, Cambodia's Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Tea Banh said here Saturday.
Tea Banh made the comments at a meeting with Admiral Sun Jianguo, deputy chief of the Joint Staff Department of China's Central Military Commission, on the sidelines of the 15th Shangri-La Dialogue. Full story
Singapore paper carries article taking dig at Uncle Sam over South China Sea
SINGAPORE, June 4 (Xinhua) -- The Straits Times, a daily newspaper in Singapore, recently carried a signed article that takes a dig at Uncle Sam over the South China Sea issue by exposing the nature of its so-called freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea.
The article was signed by Leslie Fong, a senior executive vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings and former editor of the Straits Times, imaging an open letter from a Ms. Oh Beigong, a fisherman's daughter in China's Taiwan region, to Harry B. Harris, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command. Full story
China-U.S. relations shouldn't be hijacked by South China Sea issue: Chinese ambassador
WASHINGTON, June 1 (Xinhua) -- The China-U.S. relations are too important that they should not be allowed to be hijacked by the South China Sea issue, Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai said Wednesday.
In an opinion piece published on bloomberg.com, Cui pointed out that China and the U.S. share important interests, and they "have significant potential for cooperation."Full Story