UNITED NATIONS, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The World Health Organisation (WHO) has reported 51 confirmed cases of cholera from nine governorates in Yemen, with more than 1,180 suspected cases, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters here Thursday.
The Yemeni Ministry of Public Health has reported six laboratory confirmed deaths related to cholera in Sana'a, Aden and Ibb, Dujarric said at a daily news briefing here.
WHO is estimating that 7.6 million people are living in affected and at risk areas, he said.
"There are delays in confirming the suspected cases of cholera since there are only two laboratories in the country, one in Sana'a and one in Aden," the spokesman said.
"Humanitarian partners continue to provide people with water supplies in the affected areas and improve water infrastructure," he added.
A cholera outbreak in Yemen has put an even greater strain on the country's already fractured health system. The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said earlier this week that it is on the ground in the hardest hit areas chlorinating water sources, distributing hygiene kits and teaching families about prevention.
A cholera outbreak across Yemen is the last thing the conflict-ridden country needed, but it was also expected given the collapse of the health system.
More than 600 health facilities are not functioning, and many of those that are functioning are either poorly staffed or are running on minimum operating capacity.