TRIPOLI, Dec. 13 (Xinhua) -- Spokesman of the Libyan UN-backed government of national accord said Tuesday that the military operation against the Islamic State (IS) in Sirte is officially over.
Ashraf Al-Thulthi said that Sirte is not safe yet for people to return, due to mines and bombs that are still scattered in the city.
The government forces in Sirte announced last week they finally defeated the terrorist group after almost seven month of fierce fighting that killed and injured hundreds of the government troops and forced civilians to flee to nearby cities.
Mokhtar Al-Ma'madani, the new mayor said that he has plans for reconstruction of Sirte with the government, pointing that municipality intends to help the displaced residents of Sirte to return home with the help of the ministry of local governance and the government forces.
Sirte, the hometown of former leader Muammar Gaddafi, who was toppled in the 2011 uprising, has been dominated by the IS for over a year before the UN-backed unity government launched a military campaign against the terrorist group in May.