ALEPPO, Syria, Dec. 16 (Xinhua) -- Friday's suspension of the rebel evacuation from the northern city of Aleppo in Syria was due to rebels' failure to fulfill the deal struck between Russia and Turkey, a military source told Xinhua.
The rebels, evacuating their few remaining pockets in eastern Aleppo, were taking people and soldiers they had previously kidnapped, which is contrary to the deal, said the source on condition of anonymity.
Moreover, the rebels attempted to smuggle heavy weaponry in the cars of their leaders, said the sources.
The evacuation of rebels and their families started on Thursday, and over 8,000 have already left toward the western countryside of Aleppo, as part of a deal concluded between Russia and Turkey.
The deal was supposed to see the evacuation of 15,000 people, including 4,000 rebels.
But now as the evacuation was suspended, the buses that were planned to leave on Friday returned to their areas in eastern Aleppo.
State news agency SANA said the suspension of the evacuation will be in place until the rebels live up their end of the deal.
Sources familiar with the situation said that the rebels besieging Kafraya and Foa will soon start letting civilians out of the Shiite towns, adding that the evacuation could be resumed as early as Saturday.
This comes as the Syrian army has become in control of 99 percent of the rebel-held areas in eastern Aleppo, as part of a major offensive launched recently to drive out the rebels from the city.