VIENTIANE, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Four companies on information and communication technology (ICT) have joined hands to supply the ICT system for the China-Laos railway construction project.
The four companies are Laos-China Railway Company, Lao Telecom, Lao Asia-Pacific and Huawei. They will provide ICT services along the railway line running from the Mohan-Boten border gate in northern Laos to capital Vientiane.
The ICT service for the railway project will require an investment of more than 30 billion Lao kip (over 3.67 million U.S. dollars). The ICT system will provide Internet services and mobile phone signals along the China-Laos railway construction project over the next five years, a Lao Asia-Pacific official told Xinhua on Tuesday.
The four contracted companies, who inked the agreement on Monday, will install the ICT system at each workplace to serve worker camps of the railway project.
Construction of the China-Laos railway officially started in northern Lao city Luang Prabang on December 25, 2016.
The China-Laos railway has a total length of 414.332 km with over 62.7 percent being bridges and tunnels. There are 32 stations along the route and operating speed on the route is designed at 160 km per hour.
Construction of the project is scheduled for five years with investment of some 40 billion Chinese yuan (about 5.7 billion U.S. dollars), 70 percent of which comes from Chinese investment and the rest 30 percent from the Lao side.
China-Laos railway is the first overseas route connecting the railway system in China, using Chinese technology, equipment and investment.