SHANGHAI, Feb. 15 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Super League (CSL) outfit Shanghai SIPG confirmed the signing of former Real Madrid and Chelsea central defender Ricardo Carvalho on Wednesday.
"We have completed the signing since we came back from the winter training in Doha, why we announced so late is because the registration was unsettled and we had to think carefully about the use of the veteran under the new policy of foreign players," SIPG said.
In an official statement from Chinese Football Association (CFA) last month, CSL teams are still allowed to have a maximum five foreign players, but only three of them can be fielded in one game.
The 38-year-old hardman will join Brazilian attacking trio Oscar, Hulk, Elkeson, and Uzbekistan national team captain Ahmedov to play for the ambitious CSL powerhouse.
"If any of other four foreign players was injured, Carvalho will get chance. As one of the top defenders in the world, his experience is important to help young players," said the SIPG president Chen xuyuan.
The Portuguese set himself as a world-class defender in Porto, where he won the UEFA Champions League in 2004. After that he left for Stamford Bridge, following his compatriot Mourinho, where he won Premier titles for three times. He joined Spanish club Real Madrid in 2010, where he spent 3 years and after which he moved to French Ligue 1 team Monaco.
Carvalho scored 5 goals for Portuguese national team in 89 appearances and won the European Championship in 2016.