UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 27 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations on Monday expressed its concern over the safety of large number of people besieged in eastern Ghoutah of Syria.
"We remain extremely concerned for the safety and protection of more than 400,000 people who remain besieged in eastern Ghoutah in Syria," said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, at the daily news briefing.
Intense fighting in and around eastern Ghoutah had been reported over the past week, resulting in death and injury to civilians, and affecting civilian infrastructure, including damage to medical facilities, and schools closures in several districts, said Dujarric.
The last UN inter-agency mission to the area was in late October 2016 and civilians currently had limited access to critical food, health and nutrition assistance, he added.
The United Nations called on all parties to the conflict to spare civilians and civilian infrastructure and to ensure unimpeded, sustained and unconditional access to all people in need across Syria, said the spokesman.