DAMASCUS, Feb. 27 (Xinhua) -- The military commander of the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front on Monday slammed the Syrian opposition taking part in Geneva intra-Syrian talks, telling them to stay away.
Abu Muhammad al-Jolani's remarks came in a video message, in which he told the Syrian opposition groups "to stay out and leave the war to its people," in the latest effort by the group to undermine the political efforts to resolve Syria's crisis.
Al-Jolani also claimed responsibility for the deadly bombings that targeted two Syrian intelligence centers in the central city of Homs on Saturday, which killed 42 security personnel.
"The attack in Homs was only the beginning of more attacks with different means, including the suicide bombings," he said.
He added that the bombings are a lesson to the "defeated politicians" whether in Geneva, or those who participated in the Syrian talks in Astana last month.
"We hope this action (bombings) has washed the shame of the opposition meeting in Geneva," he said.
The Nusra Front, which recently changed its name to the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, or the Front for Conquering the Levant, has been designated as a terrorist group by the international community.
The group, regardless of its names, was also excluded, along with the Islamic State (IS) group, from any political settlement or the currently-underway ceasefire, which explains its aggressive reactions.
Moreover, the group has become a main target for the U.S.-led anti-terror coalition, which has killed many of its leaders recently.
Jihadi groups said Monday that Abu al-Kheir al-Masri, the former deputy of al-Qaida leader, Ayman al-Zwahiri, was killed in Syria by a recent U.S.-led airstrike.
The man was killed by a drone strike in the northern city of Idlib, along with other jihadists.
According to accounts linked to the Nusra Front, the coalition strikes came after weeks of no strikes at all, adding that the strike targeted Abu al-Kheir's car near Idlib.