RIGA, March 7 (Xinhua) -- The stake in Latvia's national carrier airBaltic owned by German investor Ralf Dieter Montag-Girmes is being sold to Danish businessman Lars Thuesen, Latvian public television reported on Monday night.
According to the TV report, the deal in the airBaltic shares held by Montag-Girmes' company Aircaft Leasing1 has already been concluded.
The reason for the sale remained unclear as Montag-Girmes could not be reached for comment.
Montag-Girmes acquired roughly 20 percent of airBaltic shares around a year ago by contributing 52 million euros (55 million U.S. dollars) to the Latvian airline's capital. The remaining 80 percent in airBaltic still belongs to the Latvian government.
As Latvian ministers were going to address airBaltic-related issues at a closed cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Prime Minister Maris Kucinskis said in an interview with public television in the morning that all the latest developments in airBaltic have been taking place in order to strengthen the company.
The prime minister, however, declined to reveal what exactly his government was going to discuss behind closed doors, saying that this information still remained classified.
In his words, the airline is being strengthened to enable the company to achieve its plans.
Asked why representatives of security services were also invited to the government meeting, Kucinskis said it was not the first time that they were involved in dealing with similar issues, especially given the importance of airBaltic as a nationally strategic company.