JAKARTA, April 11 (Xinhua) -- Indonesian authorities have decided to terminate search for dozens of missing persons, victims of a landslide earlier this month in Ponorogo district of East Java province, due to a threat of follow-up landslides, a disaster agency official disclosed on Tuesday.
Rescuers have recovered 4 bodies out of 28 victims of the natural disaster in Banaran village on April 1, said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of national disaster management agency.
Dozens of villagers living near the affected-area have been evacuated to safer grounds as authorities have found clues that a follow-up landslide may occur, the spokesman said.
The authorities have discovered a 40-meter long crack in the scene with wide and depth respectively 40 cm and 3 meters, the spokesman disclosed.
"The community is called to rise alertness because the potential of a follow-up landslide from happening is high. Besides, rains with high intensity is also highly potential from occurring by the beginning of May," he told Xinhua via phone.
A total of 341 people have taken shelters in makeshifts tents and buildings, he added.
On Sunday, a follow-up landslide happened in Banaran village, forcing evacuation. According to Sutopo.
Rescuers also continue the search operation for 5 people berried in landslides in Nganjuk district of the province on Sunday, according to the agency, according ton the agency.