SARAJEVO, May 15 (Xinhua) -- Due to massive hacker campaigns around the world, Internet access to social networks in the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) became more restricted on Monday, said the council's information office.
Systems in BiH institutions were not endangered by the cyber attacks, but institutions at the highest level of government were undertaking certain security measures.
BiH institutions were warned by U.S. software firm Microsoft about the exposure to hacking attacks, the information office added.
Websites such as Instagram and Twitter were blocked via the server of the Council of Ministers as from Monday morning. Thus, government officials were prevented from using social networks during working hours.
Access to popular video sharing website Youtube was not disabled, however, nor was access to social networks via mobile phones.
"There were no problems with our servers and equipment. We have put more strict conditions on the usage of the Internet. We still have no problems, but we never know what the hackers can do," said Council of Ministers secretary-general Zvonimir Kutlesa.
On Friday, a massive hacker campaign was launched against a number of countries in which the computer system was attacked by the so-called "ransomware" virus. So far, 75,000 attacks have been detected by the WannaCry virus in 99 countries.
EU police agency Europol announced that more than 200,000 people in 150 countries around the world were victims of hacking on Friday.