ADDIS ABABA, June 6 (Xinhua) -- The block on mobile internet and social media will continue until 12th grade preparatory exams are finished this Thursday.
The statement on Tuesday was made by Negeri Lencho, Ethiopia Government Communication minister who said the blockage was in response to concerns that sinister rumors about exam leaks will affect the preparation of students.
Internet users in Ethiopia have been facing difficultly accessing the web starting from May 30.
"We know the inconveniences but it's not our desire to do this, we just have to protect the interest of students as a right thinking, accountable government does," says Lencho.
In May 2016, a leak of examination papers led to cancellations of the original exam, with another version only held more a month later.
Pointing to that cancellation of exams last year which cost the government millions of dollars, Lencho said part of the internet blockage is also protecting Ethiopian government investment on education.