Netanyahu urges Abbas to condemn deadly attack in settlement

Source: Xinhua| 2017-09-26 18:14:37|Editor: ying
Video PlayerClose

JERUSALEM, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday urged Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to condemn a deadly shooting attack carried out by a Palestinian earlier in the day.

Speaking at the start of his weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said the attack was a result of the "systematic incitement by the Palestinian Authority and other elements."

"I expect Abu Mazen (Abbas) to condemn it and not attempt to justify it," he said.

The attack, outside the settlement of Har Adar in the Jerusalem area, claimed the lives of two security guards and a Border Police officer.

The attacker, identified as Nimer Mahmoud Ahmad Jamal from the nearby West Bank village of Beit Surik, also injured the security coordinator of the settlement before Border Police officers shot him dead.

Shortly after the attack, Israel's army imposed a closure on Beit Surik, saying exits would be permitted only in "humanitarian cases."

Netanyahu told his ministers that more measures will be taken, including revoking work permits of the extended family of the assailant and demolishing his home.

"While we are still investigating the event and its implications, we can say some things with certainty even now. One, the home of the terrorist will be demolished. Two, the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) has already cordoned off the village. Three, all work permits for members of the terrorist's extended family are hereby revoked," Netanyahu said.

The assailant, 37, held a work permit, thus making him one of the few Palestinians with such a document to commit an attack in recent years.

He opened fire with a gun hidden under his shirt, after raising suspicion of the Israeli guards at the gate of the settlement.

Hamas, a Palestinian Islamist organization that controls the Gaza Strip, hailed the attack.

"The attack is a new chapter in the al-Quds Intifada," Hamas said in a statement, referring to a flare of violence that broke out in July after Israel installed new metal detectors at the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East Jerusalem.

The incident came a week after U.S. President Donald Trump met with Netanyahu and Abbas in New York, where he said there is a "good chance" of reaching a peace deal.

The incident was part of a wave of violence in Israel and the West Bank, which have claimed the lives of at least 293 Palestinians, 48 Jewish Israelis, two U.S. nationals, a British tourist and two African asylum seekers since September 2015.

Israel accuses the Palestinian National Authority of inciting the unrest, while the Palestinians say it is the result of 50 years of Israeli occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, home to more than 5 million Palestinians.