ADEN, Yemen, May 26 (Xinhua) -- At least 23 people were killed Tuesday when tribal militia loyal to Yemeni President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi fought against the Shiite Houthi fighters in Yemen's southern provinces amid intensified airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition forces.
A senior military official told Xinhua that hundreds of tribal fighters launched an all-out offensive against Houthi gunmen in the southern province of al-Dhalea and regained control over the province after defeating the Houthis on the ground.
"The pro-Hadi tribal militia killed more than 18 Houthi gunmen during the massive offensive that lasted three days and retook full control of the province as well as some surrounding areas," the Yemeni military source said on condition of anonymity.
Several field commanders of the Shiite Houthi group were killed during the battles in al-Dhalea province, the source said.
The fighting continued Tuesday in al-Dhalea's outskirts that left about five pro-Hadi fighters killed and more than 30 injured, according to local medics.
A source close to the Houthi group said that the group's leaders sent reinforcements and additional armored vehicles to regain control over the military sites that they lost in al-Dhalea province during the past two days.
Intensified Saudi-led airstrikes on Tuesday hit targets of the Houthis in Yemen's southern port city of Aden, destroying many buildings.
An army commander said that more than 10 rounds of the airstrikes bombed Houthi-manned checkpoints in Aden's northern entrance of Dear Saad district. He did not give the casualties.
Saudi Arabia, along with eight other Arab states, have been bombing the Houthi group and forces loyal to former president Saleh since March 26, aiming to reinstate the government of Hadi, who was forced to flee the country.
The death toll from the battles between Houthis and Hadi's supporters, as well as the airstrikes, have exceeded 1,500, while more than 4,000 people were wounded across the country, according to statistics released by the Yemeni government.
UNITED NATIONS, May 26 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon announced Tuesday that the consultations in Geneva on Yemen has been postponed following a request from the Yemeni government and other key stakeholders for more time to prepare.
"The Secretary-General has asked his Special Envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, to postpone the consultations in Geneva planned for May 28," said a statement released by Ban's spokesperson.Full Story
GENEVA, May 22 (Xinhua) -- At least 1,037 civilians have been killed between March 26 and May 20 in Yemen as a result of widespread and protracted violence affecting the country, a UN agency said Friday.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) revealed that 2,453 civilians had been injured, among whom 130 were women and 234 children.Full Story