COLOMBO, July 24 (Xinhua) -- The Sri Lankan Sports Ministry on Friday said it will challenge the suspension of the Sri Lanka Badminton Association (SLBA) from the Badminton World Federation ( BWF) at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The BWF recently suspended SLBA's membership, stating the constitution of the local body did not fall in line with that of the sports' world governing body.
The suspension will lead to a total ban for national players from competing in any international tournaments which are organized by the BWF.
However, in a statement released here, the Sports Ministry said the action by the BWF was unfair, prejudiced, bias and unjust as neither the SLBA nor any officials of the ministry had been given an opportunity to explain or make representations.
"The Ministry is also unaware of any official been appointed to inquire or verify any matters relating to SLBA by the BWF," the statement said.
"In these circumstances the Ministry of Sports and the SLBA will refer this matter to the Tribunal Arbitral Du Sport (Court of Arbitration for Sport) and take all necessary steps to remove the suspension at the earliest," it added.
The suspension came after 18 months of talks between the BWF and the Sri Lankan badminton officials over the way the association conducts its duties.
According to local reports, there are currently 6,000 shuttlers representing 225 schools and institutions at national level in the island nation.