JALALABAD, Afghanistan, June 28 (Xinhua) -- About 37 Islamic State (IS) militants had been killed in fresh operations within the last 24 hours in Kot district of eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, the provincial government said on Tuesday.
Some 44 IS militants were also wounded during the latest cleanup and military operations launched by Afghan army, police and allied militiamen in Kholgai, Janjal Ghondai and Seapy areas of Kot, it said in a statement.
The joint forces defused 29 landmines planted by IS militants recently besides clearing more than 40 villages of the militants, according to the statement.
Sporadic clashes have been continuing between security forces and IS militants in the district since early Friday after the militants attacked security checkpoints and set on fire several houses.
More than 150 IS militants, eight civilians and at least two security force members have been killed since the start of the clashes in the remote district.
No casualty on civilian or security force members were reported during the above raids, the statement noted.
Nangarhar province with Jalalabad city as its capital, 120 km east of Kabul, has been the scene of clashes between security forces and IS militants since the emergence of IS in early 2015.
The militant group has yet to make comments.