WASHINGTON, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Paul Manafort, the chief of U.S. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's campaign, has resigned following the campaign's major shakeup two days ago, the New York billionaire announced Friday.
"This morning Paul Manafort offered, and I accepted, his resignation from the campaign," Trump said in a statement.
"I am very appreciative for his great work in helping to get us where we are today, and in particular his work guiding us through the delegate and convention process. Paul is a true professional and I wish him the greatest success," said Trump.
The statement, however, offered no explanation for departure of the veteran Republican campaign strategist who joined Trump's campaign in March. Manafort has played a vital role in Trump's sweeping victory during the Republican primaries.
The move comes two days after Trump appointed conservative media executive Stephen Bannon as campaign chief executive and veteran Republican pollster Kellyanne Conway as campaign manager.
A New York Times investigation reported last week that according to related documents, more than 12 million dollars in cash payments were secretly earmarked for Manafort from a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine between 2007 and 2012.
If it's true, Manafort may have violated U.S. laws requiring lobbyists to register as "foreign agents" with the Justice Department if they work with other governments.