KABUL, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- About 22 militants had been killed amidst cleanup operations by Afghan security forces within the last 24 hours, the country's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
"A total of 21 militants were also wounded during the joint military and cleanup operations launched by Afghan security forces in 11 of Afghanistan's 34 provinces over the last 24 hours," the ministry said in a statement providing daily operational updates.
The statement also confirmed the loss of seven army personnel during operations and as a result of separate attacks across the country over the same period.
The ground forces, supported by army's artillery and airpower, have also seized weapons and defused landmines during the raids, the statement noted.
In northern Kunduz Province, the security forces cleared several villages on eastern and northern outskirts of provincial capital Kunduz city overnight, killing seven militants and wounding five others, provincial Police Chief Gen. Qasim Jangalbagh told Xinhua earlier on Wednesday.
The militants have been clashing with security forces in outer sides of Kunduz city over the past couple of days as they tried to overrun the city which was briefly seized by the Taliban in late September last year.
The Kunduz Province and neighboring Baghlan and Takhar Provinces have been the scene of heavy clashes over the past couple of months as Taliban has been trying to challenge the government forces in the once relatively peaceful region.
Taliban has yet to make comments.