CAIRO, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- At least 100 militants were killed in airstrikes carried out by the Egyptian government since the early hours of Saturday against jihadist targets in North Sinai, in retaliation for the killing of 12 army personnel on Friday at a checkpoint, a security source told Xinhua.
Earlier in the day, the Armed Forces said in a televised statement it pursued the criminal and terrorist elements who implemented the terrorist attack.
The airstrikes targeted the hideouts of the armed extremists involved in Friday's attacks, and all areas that harbor the terrorist elements along with the weapons and ammunition depots were destroyed in the airstrikes, which lasted for three hours and is still ongoing, the statement added.
At least 40 militants were wounded in the air raids, the source added.
He added that the airstrikes have bombed three suspected jihadist bases in Rafah, Sheikh Zuweid and Al-Arish cities.
Flames and smokes are still seen around, the source added.
Friday's attack took place in the central Sinai area 40 km from the town of Bir al-Abd as a group of terrorist elements attacked the checkpoint with rifles and automatic weapons, security sources said.
The army in return has killed 15 terrorists on Friday.
North Sinai province has been a hub for anti-security attacks that killed hundreds of police and army man since the army-led ouster of the Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013. The armed forces in coordination with the police have declared "war on terrorism," and more troops were deployed.
A Sinai-based militant group loyal to the Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for most of attacks, including the Friday assault.