TOKYO, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) -- Japan's major business hotel chain APA Group has pledged to withdraw right-wing books in rooms of its reception hotel for athletes of the 8th Asian Winter Games (AWG) in Sapporo, said the organizer of AWG on Wednesday.
"The APA hotel has made a pledge to the organizer that it will remove the books from rooms to accommodate athletes from all countries," Hisamu Yamazaki, an official working in the athletics section of the organizing committee of the 2017 Sapporo AWG, told Xinhua by telephone on Wednesday.
"The organizer will check all the rooms before the Games start to confirm all the books are removed," he said.
The 8th AWG will be held in Sapporo and Obihiro during Feb.19-26. To save cost, the 2017 Sapporo AWG has not built athletes village, but chose two local hotels as official designated reception hotels for athletes. APA Hotel&Resort Sapporo is one of the two hotels.
According to accommodation arrangement, athletes from Chinese and South Korean delegation will be accommodated in the hotel.
The organizing committee has requested APA to remove the right-wing books placed in the hotel guest rooms, a staff working in the media section of the organizing committee of the 2017 Sapporo AWG told Xinhua last week.
The 8th Asian Winter Games will feature five sports, 11 disciplines and 64 events.
APA Group has sparked public outrage recently as books carried in its hotel rooms in Japan deny Japan's history of aggression including the 1937 Nanjing Massacre and the forced recruitment of "comfort women" before and during World War II.
Last week, two APA hotel guests from New York uploaded a video message on the internet, showing the books placed in the hotel guest rooms and sold at the front desk as well. The online video soon went viral on social media sites and attracted tens of millions of views.
It was soon confirmed independently by media including Xinhua as well as major Japanese media outlets.
The books, with versions in both Japanese and English, written by APA Chief Executive Toshio Motoya, are filled with right-wing, revisionist views, including but not limited to statements such as: "the Nanjing Massacre was fabricated by the Chinese side and did not actually happen," comfort women were just common prostitutes, and the International Military Tribunal for the Far East is the winner's revenge to the loser.
by Lan Jianzhong, Yan Lei
TOKYO, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Japanese APA hotel chain has refused to remove from its guest rooms the untruthful books denying the Nanjing Massacre and the forced recruitment of "comfort women" ever happened, despite the unethical nature of imposing historical and political lies on customers, and the protests from people of countries victimized by Japan before and during World War Two.
The incident is only the tip of the iceberg of Japan's ultra-right wing's efforts to revise the nation's war history, with the Japanese government indulging and even promoting such a dangerous tendency. Full story
by Chenchen Shen
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) -- Plainly dressed in a dark gray suit, 87-year-old Xia Shuqin seemed no different from any other suburban Chinese lady. However, her weatherworn face and her determined eyes suggested that her story was different: She had survived the Nanjing Massacre.
It was Dec. 13, 1937. "Around 9 or 10 a.m., the Japanese invaded our house," Xia remembered vividly. "My father was killed immediately after they broke in. My grandparents, my parents, my sisters, everyone was scared and crying. Seven out of nine of my family members were killed." Full story
TOKYO, Oct. 3 (Xinhua) -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday said that his government is not planning to issue letters of apology to Korean "comfort women" despite Seoul's expectations that Japan would take further measures to atone for its forcible wartime conscription of women to work in military brothels.
During a Diet budgetary committee meeting, the Japanese leader said that a deal struck between Tokyo and Seoul last December did not require Japan to issue such letters of apology. Full story
SEOUL, July 10 (Xinhua) -- The records of Japan's wartime exploitation of forced sex slaves, known as "comfort women," should be preserved as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Memory of the World to spur much-needed vigilance, a South Korean scholar and activist has said.
Dr. Ahn Shin-kwon, director of the House of Sharing, a non-governmental group providing shelter and counseling for comfort women in South Korea since 1992, said the comfort women records should fall under the Memory of the World Program, one of the categories of UNESCO World Heritage. Full story
JAKARTA, June 28 (Xinhua) -- Japanese government's poor efforts to resolve "comfort women" issue will become a "boomerang" to its political position in the Asia Pacific region, an Indonesian expert told Xinhua in a recent interview.
A number of non-governmental organizations from countries where comfort women suffered -- such as China, the Republic of Korea, Indonesia, the Philippines and other countries and regions -- have been working together to nominate documentation on these sexually abused women and girls to be included on the Memory of the World Register. Full story
MANILA, June 25 (Xinhua) -- Hilaria Bustamante was only 16 years old when, one day more than 70 years ago, three Japanese soldiers abducted her, hauled her onto a military truck and brought her to a garrison where she was reportedly imprisoned and repeatedly raped for a year.
Now at the age of 90, her tragic story as a Philippine comfort woman for the Japanese army during the Second World War is among those included in a document submitted to the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Full story