Demonstration in Kabul continues for second day

Source: Xinhua| 2017-06-03 17:35:38|Editor: xuxin
Video PlayerClose

KABUL, June 3 (Xinhua) -- The massive demonstration in Kabul entered its second day on Saturday peacefully, after it turned violent on Friday afternoon.

Hundreds of people gathered under two tents some 300 meters away from the site of the deadly bomb attack that claimed more the 90 lives and injured more than 400 others on Wednesday, warning not to go home unless their demands are met.

"The terrorists should be punished," chanted a protestor. Another said, "The failed leaders of the government should quit the office."

Thousands of people took to the streets on Friday to protest against Wednesday's bombing, one of the deadliest in recent years in the country. Most of the victims were civilians including women and children.

Afghan government blamed the bloody terrorist attack on Haqqani network, the military wing of Taliban outfit operating in Kabul and the eastern region of the militancy-battered Afghanistan.

However, Taliban purported spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid rejected the government's claim as groundless, saying the Taliban does not target civilians.

The demonstration which begun peacefully on Friday morning turned violent in the afternoon, after some protestors, according to police, were attempting to sneak into the Presidential Palace, prompting police to fire on the air on stone-throwing people from among the rally.

At least five protestors reportedly had been killed and more than 10 others injured due to the police firing.

Blaming the government for what they described "failure to check terrorist activities," besides demanding the resignation of government leaders, the protestors also called for the exemplary punishments of terrorists languishing in government prisons.

The protestors also demanded the execution of Taliban prisoners including Anas Haqqani, the son of Haqqani network founder Jalaludin Haqqani, arrested on charge of involvement in terrorist activities.

The government in a statement released by Presidential Palace expressed sympathy with the victims of Wednesday's terrorists attack and those suffered during demonstration on Friday, and promised to thoroughly investigate the attack and bring to justice all those behind the heinous crime.

Compared with previous day, a smaller number of protestors were seen rallying uner tents on Saturday.

"Holding peaceful demonstration is the right of all citizens but it is a matter of regret that security personnel open fire on peaceful protestors and turned it to violence. It is a matter of regret that Afghans are killed in suicide terrorist attacks and demonstration similarly," a political analyst Zarif Nasiri told local media.