OSLO, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- In its proposal for a new and stricter firearms law, the Norwegian government will ban certain semi-automatic rifles such as those used in the 2011 mass attacks in the country, public broadcaster NRK reported Friday.
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg stated that all the 31 safety measures recommended by the independent 22 July Commission had been either implemented or initiated.
At Friday's press conference, the government presented new instruction on the Armed Forces' assistance to the police, new instruction on societal security, and proposals for a new Firearms Act.
The bill proposes to ban semi-automatic rifles originally designed for whole automatic function or for the military or police.
Minister of Justice and Public Security Per-Willy Amundsen said the ban will apply to already granted gun permits and will include the weapon category used in the Utoya attack in 2011.
On July 22, 2011, far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik set off a car bomb that killed eight people outside government headquarters in Oslo and then killed 69 others in a shooting rampage on Utoya Island, where young members of the governing Labor Party had gathered for their annual summer camp.
"It is proposed to provide exemption rules on strict conditions for, among others, some forms of sports shooting and weapon collectors," Amundsen said.
The instruction that gives the police the right to lead and request assistance from the Armed Forces, came into force on Friday.
"The new instruction is simplified and shortened, and will ensure that decisions on assistance from the Armed Forces to the police can be taken as quickly as possible in an emergency situation. We cut out a number of joints in the decision chain," Norwegian Defense Minister Ine Eriksen Soreide announced on Friday.