TRIPOLI, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- Forces of the Libyan Government of National Accord took over port of Tripoli after violent clashes against an armed group that had been stationed inside the port for years, a security source said Wednesday.
"The central security forces took control of the seaport of Tripoli after violent clashes that erupted Tuesday and lasted until Wednesday dawn," the source at the Tripoli Security Directorate said, adding that the forces expelled the armed group that was illegally stationed in the port.
The clashes caused no casualties and limited damage to the port, the source added.
A social reconciliation delegation was at the port when the clashes broke out, but managed to leave on Tuesday unharmed, the source said.
The port of Tripoli was built in 1986 and is Libya's largest port in terms of traffic and commercial transactions.
The capital city has witnessed violent clashes in past two days between government forces and outlawed armed groups, killing and injuring several people, and flights were suspended in the nearby Tripoli International Airport.