LOS ANGELES, Nov. 13 (Xinhua) -- Hundreds of people marched against sexual harassment by Hollywood elites and in support of victims of sexual assault in downtown Los Angeles Sunday afternoon.
Chanting "Harvey Weinstein is a joke, women workers just got woke" and "Your junk is not my job," the marchers, who wore T-shirts bearing "Me Too" across the front, gathered outside Dolby Theater in the renown Walk of Fame.
Sunday's rally was sparked by the "Me Too" campaign, a grassroots movement which started in New York more than a decade ago to create a community for survivors of sexual abuse. It turned into a hashtag phenomenon on Twitter after actress and activist Alyssa Milano promoted it after movie mogul Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment scandal was exposed by the media last month.
Hollywood has been rattled after the Weinstein story unfolded, disclosing his 30-year pattern of sexual harassment and workplace intimidation against young female stars and employees.
After Weinstein's scandal was disclosed, more sexual assault allegations have been made against Hollywood's elite, including actors Kevin Spacey, Ed Westwick, and Dustin Hoffman as well as filmmaker James Toback.
"I'm really happy to come here, because really it's Hollywood that opened this floodgate," said Tarana Burke, the creator of the movement, "It's really symbolic to have this march happen, not with Hollywood stars, but in Hollywood."
She said in her emotional speech that the sexual violence people endured was an attempt to undermine their humanity and the rally of unity is a "glorious rejection of that."
"For every Harvey Weinstein, there's a hundred more men in the neighborhood who are doing the exact same thing." Burke said.
In response to the series of sexual harassment scandals, the District Attorney of Los Angeles County announced last Thursday the creation of a special task force to deal with the misconducts.