Pakistani forces launch operation in SW city after terrorists kill police

Source: Xinhua| 2017-11-19 21:09:05|Editor: liuxin
Video PlayerClose

ISLAMABAD, Nov. 19 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani security forces launched an operation in the country's southwestern city of Quetta early Sunday after armed groups increased terrorist attacks on police, officials said.

The operation was launched following a series of terrorist attacks on police and military officials in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, in recent days. Banned groups had claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Over 750 members of the paramilitary troops, police and other security agencies are taking part in the operation in Pashtoon Abad neighborhood of Quetta, military and police officials told a news conference in Quetta.

Sector In-charge of the paramilitary force Frontier Corps in Quetta Brigadier Tassawar Abbas told reporters that the day-long operation was launched after intelligence reports suggested that terror suspects were hiding in the area.

Deputy Inspector General Police Abdul Razzaq Cheema said on the occasion that all entry and exit routes have been sealed to frustrate the escape of the suspects.

Cheema said that women security personnel are also part of the operation for house-to-house search, who will "distribute gifts among the children." A total of 300 houses will be searched and the operation will be completed before sunset, he said.

"The operation is also aimed at conveying the message to the public that the security officials are determined to eliminate terrorists and to ensure security of the citizens," the police officer said.

Pashtoon Abad is comprised of nearly 23,000 people and is dominated by ethnic Pashtoon population and is located in Quetta, according to officials.

The operation was launched days after terrorist attacks claimed the lives of dozens of security personnel in Quetta.

On Nov. 15, a senior police investigator, Mohammad Ilyas, his wife, son and grandson, were killed when unknown gunmen opened fire on their vehicle in Quetta. The banned tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had claimed responsibility.

On Nov. 9, provincial Deputy Inspector General Police Hamid Shakeel was among three officials killed in a suicide attack on Quetta's airport road. Eight others, including police officials, were injured in the Taliban-claimed attack on the vehicle of the senior police officer.

Besides attacks in Quetta, a banned terrorist group, Baloch Liberation Front, killed 15 labourers in Turbat district of Balochistan on Wednesday. On Friday, five more labourers were killed in the same area.