WASHINGTON, Nov. 24 (Xinhua) -- The White House on Friday condemned "in the strongest terms" the deadly attack at a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province earlier in the day.
Condoling the families of those killed and wounded, the White House said in an announcement that "there can be no tolerance for barbaric groups that claim to act in the name of a faith but attack houses of worship and murder the innocent and defenseless while at prayer."
The United State urged the international community to "collectively discredit the extremist ideology that forms the basis of their existence," said the statement.
Earlier, U.S. President Donald Trump also condemned the "horrible and cowardly terrorist attack" via twitter.
"The world cannot tolerate terrorism, we must defeat them militarily," he said.
Meanwhile, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement that this "attack on those at prayer is an unconscionable act of evil."
"We will continue to stand with Egypt and the Egyptian people as they face the scourge of terrorism," she said.
An explosive device planted outside a mosque near Arish city of Egypt went off before militants opened fire at the prayers, leaving at least 235 killed and more than 100 wounded.