NINGBO, Nov. 28 (Xinhua) -- Disposal of illegally produced explosives led to a deadly explosion in east China's Zhejiang Province on Sunday, which killed two and injured 19, authorities said on Tuesday.
The explosion occurred at the site of a demolished factory around 8:50 a.m. on Sunday in Jiangbei District of Ningbo City.
Police have found that discarding and disposal of illegally manufactured explosives began Saturday night at the site. Disposal operations resumed at 8:40 a.m. on Sunday.
Technicians from the local public security department said they believed errors during disposal operations had caused the explosion, and authorities have ruled out the possibility that the explosion was intentional.
Police detained the owner of the explosives, Shan, on Monday in Hubei Province. Shan had been earlier wanted by the police on suspicion of illegally manufacturing and selling explosives.
Shan confessed to having asked his family members in Ningbo to destroy the explosives he had.
Residents affectd by the blast have been relocated to two sites. Maintenance work has started in nearby residential communities. Affected residents are expected to receive subsidies after evaluation.