SUVA, April 3 (Xinhua) -- Schools in the western part of Fiji will remain closed for at least the next two days until further assessments are made due to flooding caused by Tropical Cyclone Josie.
Four people died during the flooding in the Western Division in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Josie over the Easter weekend. A flood alert remains in force Tuesday for some areas in Fiji's western part, including Rakiraki Town and the Nadi River areas.
The Nadi Weather Office warned on Tuesday that a trough of low pressure will continue to bring heavy rain in Fiji's northern part from Wednesday, which will later spread to other parts of Fiji.
The Weather Office stressed that Fijians needed to remain vigilant as weather systems developing near Fiji could affect the island nation.
Meanwhile a flood alert remained in force for the low lying areas, small streams and areas adjacent to downstream in Vanua Levu and Taveuni in Fiji's northern islands.
At the height of the flooding, more than 1,000 Fijians sought shelter at evacuation centers.
Ba Town in the northwestern part of Viti Levu, Fiji's largest island which is home to more than 70 percent of Fiji's population, was hit badly in the flooding and a lot of work will have to be carried out to normalize services in the commercial and residential areas.
More than 250 houses were affected by flood waters in Ba and residents and the business community are now trying to clear the debris.
Ba Town's CEO Dip Narayan said the Council workers are working hard to ensure services normalize by Wednesday.
Special Administrator Robin Ali for the Town Council of Nadi, Fiji's third largest city, said about 800 vendors had been severely affected as they have lost their stock.
Natural Disasters Minister Inia Seruiratu said on Tuesday that they had identified seven priority areas to work through in the wake of the widespread flooding in the western part.
Seruiratu said that among their key elements was to ensure schools being used as evacuation centres were cleared sooner.
Minimizing any health hazards were also high on the agenda with the ministry working alongside relevant stakeholders, he said, adding that assessments were ongoing with a cost of damage figure expected to be released by the end of this week.