TRIPOLI, April 17 (Xinhua) -- Italy's Ambassador to Libya Giuseppe Perrone has confirmed that the agreement with the Libyan government is not aimed at settling illegal immigrants in southern Libya.
The Italian diplomat made the remarks during a meeting with the head of Libyan Higher Council of State Khalid al-Meshri here, according to a statement released by the council's media office later on Monday.
"The illegal immigration agreement with the Government of National Accord is not intended to settle (migrants) in the south, but to follow two parallel lines: developing the south and fighting illegal immigration, as well as providing urgent assistance," Perrone said.
Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni and Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj signed an agreement in Rome last year to support the monitoring of illegal immigration, combating human trafficking, and controlling Libya's southern border.
The agreement has raised considerable resentment and concerns among Libyan officials regarding the resettlement of illegal immigrants rescued at sea in Libya.
"The results of the Italian elections will not adversely affect the foreign policy on the Libyan file," the Italian ambassador said, reiterating Italy's support for the UN-proposed action plan.
Italy held general election last month, electing a new parliament.
Perrone confirmed that Italy is "continuing to work with its international partners in supporting efforts to achieve (a) consensus between the parliament and the council in order to amend the political agreement."
Libya has become a preferred departure point for illegal immigrants hoping to cross the Mediterranean into Europe, because of insecurity and chaos in the North African country following the 2011 uprising that toppled former leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The European Union has pledged more assistance to Italy to cope with flows of illegal immigrants to its shores from Libya.