PHNOM PENH, May 28 (Xinhua) -- About 117 workers at a bag factory in southern Cambodia's Kandal province were hospitalized on Monday morning after smelling paint and welding fumes from a nearby factory, a local police chief said.
The incident took place at the Starite (Cambodia) factory in Ang Snuol district after those workers inhaled paint and welding fumes from a nearby factory which was being renovated, said Mean Samnang, police chief of Ang Snuol district.
"They had vomit and dizziness, and fainted subsequently," he told Xinhua, adding that the workers' poor health also contributed to the mass fainting.
Samnang said the factory has a total of 700 workers, and its management after the incident allowed the workers to take a day-off.
The National Social Security Fund (NSSF), which takes responsibility for the workers' medical expenses, said in a statement that the ill-fated workers had been sent to a district hospital and two private clinics. None of them was in serious condition.