File picture shows the Natanz uranium enrichment facility in Natanz, 300 kms south of Tehran. (Xinhua)
TEHRAN, June 13 (Xinhua) -- Iran will resume enriching uranium at its Fordow nuclear site if the Iranian nuclear deal collapses, spokesperson for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said on Thursday.
Behrouz Kamalvandi said the enrichment activities at Fordow nuclear facility will be restored at the discretion of senior Iranian officials in case the deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), falls apart, according to Tasnim news agency.
Prior to 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and the six world powers, the underground bunker of Fordow in central Iran was used for 20 percent uranium enrichment.
Based on the deal, the Islamic republic stopped enrichment activities in Fordow and turned it into a research center.
Last week, AEOI Chief Ali Akbar Salehi said Tehran has already developed the necessary infrastructure at the Natanz nuclear facility for enrichment of uranium at the capacity of one million SWU (Separative Work Unit).
Iran is currently holding talks with European Union to protect the JCPOA against the U.S. administration's threats.