SAN FRANCISCO, June 15 (Xinhua) -- A report on the workforce diversity of U.S. tech giant Google shows that the company is still primarily dominated by white and male, despite small progress in the past year.
In its latest edition of "Google diversity annual report 2018," Google said the overall workforce is 61.9 percent male and 30.9 percent female.
Overall, the tech company's workforce is predominantly white, which took up 53.1 percent, while Asians grew more than a percentage point to 36.3 percent.
Its non-tech workers are split by gender much more evenly with 52.2 percent male and 47.8 percent female.
Its leadership representation shows that 66.9 percent are white, and 26.3 percent are Asian, with black accounting for a merely 2 percent.
Three in four of Google's leadership roles belongs to men at 74.5 percent, with females taking up the rest 25.5 percent.
The increased female leadership positions in the company worldwide shows a 4.7 percent gain in the past four years.
From 2017 to 2018, Google's black leadership rose from 1.5 percent to 2 percent, while Latino leadership inched up from 1.7 percent to 1.8 percent.
Despite "some pockets of success, we need to do more to achieve our desired diversity and inclusion outcomes," said Danielle Brown, vice president of Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, in the report.
Google promised to "do more" to achieve diversity goals and shift more responsibility to senior leaders.
California-based Google is part of Alphabet Inc., which employs about 85,000 people.