Pedestrians walk past a graffiti mural, depicting scenes of fighters with the Kaaba from the Haram al-Sharif mosque in Mecca and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, painted along Palestine Square in the Iranian capital Tehran on July 24, 2018. (AFP photo)
TEHRAN, July 30 (Xinhua) -- Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday ruled out the possibility of negotiations with the U.S. government over the enduring bilateral problems.
"The United States has proved that it is unreliable, so engagement and dialogue with the current U.S. government is impossible," Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi said on Monday.
He added that "hostile policies of the United States, including its withdrawal from the Iranian international nuclear deal, its plans to exert sanction and economic pressures on Iran leave no chance for talks."
In the meantime, military confrontation between Iran and the United States is out of question, he said, adding that however, Tehran is prepared for any hostile move of Washington.
U.S. President Donald Trump hinted last week that Washington was open to negotiate a new nuclear deal with Tehran ahead of looming deadline for Washington to snap back gold and oil sanctions on Iran.
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei responded to Trump's remarks saying that any negotiation with the United States to solve the existing mutual problems was an "obvious mistake."
However, Khamenei stressed that negotiations with the Europeans should continue to secure Iran's interests from the 2015 international nuclear deal following the U.S. withdrawal from it on May 8.