An Iranian woman walks by a mural painting on the wall of the former U.S. embassy in the Iranian capital Tehran on Aug. 7, 2018. (AFP photo)
TEHRAN, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that Iran has no plan to talk with the United States on the sidelines of the upcoming UN General Assembly meeting, state TV reported Sunday.
"No meeting is expected to take place," Zarif told reporters after U.S. President Donald Trump signalled his willingness to hold talks with Iranian officials over existing issues.
"The Americans are not honest," he added.
On Friday, Majid Takht Ravanchi, Iranian deputy foreign minister for European and American affairs, also said he did not see "any reason" for talks between Trump and Rouhani at the 73rd UN General Assembly meeting next month.
"What expectations could you have from a person who pulls out from international engagement and now says let's hold talks," Ravanchi noted.
Trump withdrew Washington from the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, on May 8 and demanded renegotiation of the pact.
Since then, the Trump administration has slapped a number of sanctions on Iran while vowing to apply more.