GAZA, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Palestinian Islamic Jihad announced on Saturday that it agreed with Egyptian mediators to stop firing rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel and restore calm in the coastal enclave.
"Following contacts with the movement (Islamic Jihad), it agreed on a full cessation of firing rockets and restore calm in the Gaza Strip," the Islamic Jihad said in a press statement.
"Stopping firing rockets was a response to the Egyptian efforts to restore calm in Gaza and stop more deterioration of the situation between Israel and Gaza militants," the statement added.
Dawood Shihab, spokesman of Islamic Jihad in Gaza, confirmed to reporters that Egypt brokered a cease-fire deal with Israel in the Gaza Strip.
The deal was reached following a nightlong of firing rockets from the coastal enclave into Israel and intensive Israeli army airstrikes on military posts and facilities in the territory.
After five Palestinians were killed and 232 injured on Friday in the weekly protests and marches that have been going on since March 30, the Islamic Jihad fired barrages of rockets into southern Israel.
In response, Israeli war planes carried out intensive airstrikes on Islamic Jihad and Islamic Hamas military posts, facilities, constructions, tunnels and training fields in Gaza, according to Israeli media reports.
The Israeli army said earlier that more than 45 rockets were fired on Friday night and Saturday morning from Gaza into Israel. Many of the rockets were intercepted by the missiles of the Iron Dome.
The army said that its war fighters struck with missiles more than 80 targets in Gaza that belong to Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other minor militant groups.
Medical sources said that more than nine Palestinians were injured by the shrapnel of the Israeli army missiles.
Gaza Health Ministry Spokesman Ashraf al-Qedra said that airstrikes on northern Gaza Strip damaged a hospital donated by Indonesia with no injuries reported.