A malnourished child is seen at a hospital in Hajjah province, Yemen, Oct. 1, 2018. (Xinhua/Mohammed Mohammed)
UNITED NATIONS, Jan. 14 (Xinhua) -- Talks between warring parties in Yemen about humanitarian access "have been constructive" in breaking an impasse over redeployment of forces, the chief UN spokesman said on Monday.
Retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert, chairman of the talks, "shuttled" between opposing members of the Redeployment Coordination Committee (RCC) in Hodeidah "due to the inability of the parties to have a joint meeting," said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesman.
So far there have only been two meetings between the two sides, the government of Yemen and the Houthi rebels, Dujarric told reporters at a regular briefing. "While projected timelines have slipped, recent discussions have been constructive."
Redeployment is sought in the key port of Hodeidah, parts of the city and two other minor ports in hope of bringing in humanitarian aid to the country, the spokesman said.
Cammaert is "seeking to find a mutually acceptable way forward for the redeployment of forces from the three ports and critical parts of the city associated with humanitarian facilities, as provided for in phase one in the Stockholm Agreement," Dujarric said.
"The chair continues to encourage the parties to resume the joint meetings in order to finalize a mutually agreed redeployment plan. Currently, plans are being discussed on how to facilitate humanitarian operations."
UN officials have been warning that Yemen is on the brink of famine.
Discussions have been stalled because of different interpretations of the Stockholm accord, reached last month, over who would control key points during a partial cease-fire.