S. African army requested to extend deployment in gang-infested communities

Source: Xinhua| 2019-09-11 19:13:55|Editor: xuxin
Video PlayerClose

CAPE TOWN, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) - The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has been requested to extend deployment of troops in gang-infested communities in and around Cape Town, authorities said on Wednesday.

A request to this effect has been sent to President Cyril Ramaphosa and Defence Minister Nosiviwe-Mapisa Nqakula, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said.

The army deployment should be extended on the condition that certain shortcomings of the original deployment be urgently addressed to improve the results that have been recorded so far, Winde said.

The SANDF has played a key role in anti-gang operations so far, particularly in providing support to the South African Police Service (SAPS) and other law enforcement operations, however, there has been very little in the way of a decrease in violent crime, said Winde.

"There is no doubt that the SAPS do not have the resources to do this alone," he said, adding that there is still a massive hill to climb before gang violence was contained.

Therefore the army should continue its deployment in the Western Cape for a further period of at least six months in order to reach a point of stabilization.

"We are still seeing unacceptably high levels of murder, attempted murder and other violent crime which needs to be urgently addressed,"Winde said.

The army deployment extension is to ensure that the scourge of crime in the communities come to a stop, he said.

"We need to make every effort and use every avenue at our disposal to root out criminals and make our communities safer,"Winde said.

On July 18, the SANDF began deploying troops in parts of Cape Town to help quell rising gang violence which claims dozens of lives every week. The deployment will end next week.

The troops have assisted through roadblocks, joint foot patrols, joint air patrols, air trooping and overt intelligence gathering.

Mapisa-Nqakula said earlier that she has received the request Winde.

The minister said a determination on the request would be made once a "proper assessment of the situation" had taken place.

TOP STORIES
EDITOR’S CHOICE
MOST VIEWED
EXPLORE XINHUANET