TRIPOLI, Nov. 19 (Xinhua) -- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) on Tuesday condemned an airstrike south of the capital Tripoli on Monday, targeting a local factory and leaving dozens, mostly migrant workers, killed or wounded.
"The IOM deplores Monday's airstrike on a factory in Wadi Rabi, southern Tripoli, that the Libyan health ministry says has claimed the lives of at least seven, including five migrant workers," the UN organization said in a statement.
"This attack is a stark reminder of the hostile conditions and risks migrants and local communities face on a daily basis. Civilians are not a target; their safety must be guaranteed by all parties to the conflict," said IOM Libya Chief of Mission Federico Soda.
Seven persons were killed and 30 others injured on Monday by an airstrike that hit a factory in Wadi Rabi area in southern Tripoli.
The UN-backed government accused the rival east-based army of the airstrike, to which the eastern army has not commented so far.
The IOM estimates that there are 110,000 immigrants in Tripoli and the surrounding areas, while 2,000 are detained in shelters facing risks in the continued clashes in Tripoli.
The eastern army, led by General Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign in and around Tripoli for more than seven months, trying to control the city and overthrow the UN-backed government.
Thousands were killed and injured in the armed conflict, while hundreds of thousands others were displaced.