Palestinian militant dies of wounds sustained during recent round of Gaza conflicts

Source: Xinhua| 2019-11-29 20:03:05|Editor: xuxin
Video PlayerClose

GAZA, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- A Palestinian militant on Friday died of wounds sustained during the latest wave of violent tensions that broke out in the Gaza Strip between the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and Israel, medics said.

Ashraf al-Qedra, spokesman of the Health Ministry in Gaza, said in a short message that Ra'ed Sirsawi, 30 years old from eastern Gaza city, who was critically injured on November 13, succumbed to his wounds on Friday.

The Islamic Jihad's armed wing said in a press statement that Sirsawi was a member of the group and he was critically wounded while participating in the latest gun battle with Israel.

Meanwhile, al-Qedra said in a separate text message that Tha'er Hammed, 29, on Thursday died of critical wounds sustained in an accidental explosion in the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Lahia.

Sources said that Hammed is a member of al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of Fatah movement.

Al-Qedra said that the death toll in the lastest escalation on the Gaza Strip grows up to 36, 20 of whom were civilian men, women and children, and more than 100 are injured.

Egypt and the United Nations special envoy Nickolay Mladenov managed to broker a cease-fire agreement mid of November between PIJ and Israel that ended the wave of tension between the two sides.

Meanwhile, the Highest Commission of the Great March of Return announced on Friday in a press statement that it decided to postpone the weekly anti-Israel protests on the border between eastern Gaza Strip and Israel.

It is the third consecutive Friday that the commission postpones the weekly anti-Israel rallies, saying in the statement that the postponement was made in fear of a new Israeli escalation and retaliation.

The marches started in March 31 last year, and went on every week calling on Israel to lift a tight blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip since 2007, when Islamic Hamas movement had violently seized control of the enclave.

The Health Ministry had said that since the beginning of the rallies and protests, the Israeli army shot and killed 313 Palestinian demonstrators and wounded more than 19,000 others by live ammunition.