NICOSIA, March 13 (Xinhua) -- All foreign nationals are barred from entering Cyprus as of March 15 and for a period of 15 days, as part of drastic new measures to contain the spread of COVID-19, Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades announced on Friday night.
In a televised address, Anastasiades said that entry into the country will be allowed only to Cypriots, European Union (EU) nationals working in Cyprus and nationals of third countries on diplomatic service, or studying in educational institutions in Cyprus.
Other EU nationals or third country nationals will be allowed into the country for business obligations, provided that they will have obtained permission from Cypriot authorities.
Anastasiades said the suspension of public and private schools will be extended until April 10. Cyprus has 14 COVID-19 infections so far.
Authorities have already imposed a ban on football games, musical and theatrical events and private gatherings involving more than 75 people except in factories and other work places.
The Cypriot president said the measures announced do not affect in any way business activities related to the supply of the market and said that the government is working on a comprehensive plan to compensate workers and businesses for any loss of income.