VIENTIANE, March 24 (Xinhua) -- Lao Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith and authorities have visited facilities prepared for COVID-19 patients, despite there being no confirmed case in Laos.
The monitoring of the facilities by the prime minister on Monday came as concerns rise about possible infections or even an outbreak of COVID-19 as many Lao workers in neighboring Thailand head home, local daily Vientiane Times reported on Tuesday.
Like many countries, Thai authorities ordered a temporary shutdown of some businesses and workplaces, leaving many Lao laborers jobless, hence they went back home.
It is also believed that many Lao nationals are coming home for the upcoming Lao New Year, scheduled for the middle of April, said the report.
There are concerns that some workers could carry the virus from the neighboring country that is struggling to control the outbreak there.
Although there is no confirmed case of infection in Laos so far, local health authorities said they were prepared to handle infections or an outbreak should it occur.
Lao health officials and medical staff have been trained and facilities prepared in this regard.
In Vientiane, four hospitals, namely Mittaphab Hospital, Mahosot Hospital, Setthethirath Hospital and 103 Hospital, have been designated for the isolation of suspected cases.
In the provinces, suspected patients will be isolated at provincial hospitals, according to the report.