HARARE, March 25 (Xinhua) -- More business organizations in Zimbabwe have gone into voluntary partial lockdown or have cut down the number of people coming to the office as they seek to limit the spread of COVID-19 which has so far resulted in three confirmed cases, one of them fatal.
Both human and vehicular traffic reduced significantly Wednesday in Harare's central business district as the message on the severity of the problem apparently hit home as residents exercised more caution.
The number of people in the streets wearing face masks remains low, but many are apparently beginning to exercise social distancing.
At least two banks have closed some of their branches amid indications that others will soon follow suit, while several companies have instructed their workers to work from home wherever possible.
A number of companies have since last week been announcing that they were withdrawing some of their employees and allowing them to work from home.
Leading property owners and developers Mashonaland Holdings Limited on Wednesday notified shareholders of the postponement of an annual general meeting (AGM) scheduled for the same day.
"In light of the rapidly evolving developments relating to coronavirus (COVID-19), the directors of Mashonaland Holdings Limited wish to advise its shareholders and other stakeholders that, in the best interest of health and safety all all stakeholders, the AGM has been postponed to a date to be advised," said a notice from the company's lawyers.
The country's biggest media house Zimpapers on Wednesday also announced a partial lockdown.
The Zimbabwe Revenue Authority also announced that it was putting measures in place to ensure the safety of its employees and clients.
"All stations to maintain skeleton staff, with only critical areas to be manned to limit human interface," the organization said in a notice.
It said all Data Processing Centers staff would not interact with any member of the public while amendment staff would only interact with clients or agents via electronic means, while all applications for immigrants rebate would be suspended until further notice.