Chinese consul-general refutes allegations against China's transparency in COVID-19 response

Source: Xinhua| 2020-04-15 22:47:46|Editor: huaxia

GENEVA, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Some previous allegations against China's transparency in the COVID-19 response were not grounded in facts, Zhao Qinghua, consul-general of China in Zurich and the Principality of Liechtenstein, said Wednesday.

In an article published in the local newspaper Finanz und Wirtschaft (Finance and Economy), the Chinese diplomat said that states should respect the truth and bear the responsibility of ensuring the health of their citizens, as the novel coronavirus is spreading rapidly around the world.

"The fact is that China made the outbreak transparent for everyone, which can be seen in the timeline China published on how it has shared information," he wrote.

China earlier this month released a detailed timeline of its response to the novel coronavirus disease, chronicling the main facts and measures it has taken in the global joint anti-virus efforts.

The document, titled "Timeline of China releasing information on COVID-19 and advancing international cooperation on epidemic response," showed China's timeliness, openness and transparency in notifying people at home and abroad in its fight against the coronavirus.

For example, Zhao said, starting Jan. 3, China has been regularly informing the World Health Organization, as well as relevant countries and regions of the virus outbreak.

Also, the Chinese diplomat said, China has adopted comprehensive and rigorous measures to contain the outbreak.

Saying that China has also been helping promote international cooperation in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, Zhao told local readers that China has donated and exported a large number of essential medical supplies for those in urgent need.

"At the same time, China has sent medical teams to a number of countries including Italy and Serbia," he added.

KEY WORDS:
EXPLORE XINHUANET
010020070750000000000000011105091389794541