JAKARTA, May 21 (Xinhua) -- At least two people were killed and six others were injured as whirlwind destroyed hundreds of houses in Indonesia's western Lampung province, a disaster agency official said on Thursday.
The natural disaster struck the districts of Tulang Bawang and Mesuji on Wednesday night, Head of the Provincial Disaster Management Agency's Operation Unit Seno Aditarta disclosed.
The casualties and the wounded persons were reported in Tulang Bawang district where the disaster damaged nearly 250 houses, Aditarta revealed.
"But, for Mesuji, we have so far not received any report about the impact of the whirlwind. We will find it out soon," he told Xinhua by phone.
Relief aids have been flowing into Tulang Bawang district and will immediately be delivered to the other district, said Aditarta.
The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency has warned of heavy downpours with thunders in the province and western parts of Sumatra Island on Friday, urging the residents to take precautionary strides. Enditem