MADRID, July 6 (Xinhua) -- Spain's Galician regional authority imposed restrictions on around 70,000 people for five days from Sunday midnight due to a spike in the number of COVID-19 cases.
Jesus Vazquez Almuina, head of the department of health in Galicia, told a press conference Sunday that apart from confining the area, capacity will be limited in shops and hotels, and people are recommended only to leave their homes for essential purposes and meetings are limited to a maximum of 10 people.
The first case in the area was detected on June 23 and the number of infections had spiraled to 85 Saturday and 106 Sunday. Meanwhile regional authorities have carried out extensive contact tracing and hundreds of PCR tests.
The majority of those infected are reported to be either asymptomatic or having very mild symptoms.
Earlier this week, regional leader Alberto Nunez Feijoo said the outbreak was centered on "two or three bars" in the port area of the small town of Burela in the A Marina area.
This is the second local lockdown in Spain in 24 hours and follows the decision taken by Catalan authorities to restrict access to the region of Segria for at least 15 days after around 350 COVID-19 cases were confirmed last week.
Segria has around 200,000 inhabitants, where many cases have been recorded among temporary workers, namely fruit pickers.
According to the latest data published by the Spanish Ministry of Health, Spain has tallied 28,385 deaths from COVID-19 and 250,545 confirmed cases. Enditem