A medical worker displays a dose of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine in Kenitra, Morocco, May 20, 2021. (Photo by Chadi/Xinhua)
RABAT, May 20 (Xinhua) -- Morocco announced on Thursday a gradual easing of the COVID-19 lockdown measures, as the epidemiological situation is improving, the government said in a statement.
Starting from Friday, the night curfew will be imposed from 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. local time instead of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., the statement said.
Shops, restaurants and cafes have to close at 11 p.m., and the previous health regulations banning large gatherings in cinemas, parties, funerals, and demonstrations will be maintained.
Moroccan Health Minister Khalid Ait Taleb announced on Thursday during the cabinet's weekly meeting that the COVID-19 epidemiological situation is experiencing a "gradual" improvement in light of the decreasing number of new cases and deaths.
Morocco's COVID-19 tally rose to 516,091 on Thursday as 333 new cases were registered during the past 24 hours.
The country's coronavirus death toll rose to 9,109 with three new fatalities, while 193 people were in intensive care units.
Meanwhile, 7,267,431 people have received so far the first vaccine shot against COVID-19 in the country, while 4,748,289 people have received the second dose.
The North African country launched a nationwide vaccination campaign on Jan. 28 after the arrival of the first shipment of China's Sinopharm vaccines. Enditem