COLOMBO, April 23 (Xinhua) -- Sri Lankan Army Commander and Head of the National Operations Center for the Prevention of COVID-19, General Shavendra Silva said on Friday despite a rise in the number of COVID-19 patients in recent days, the country would not impose a lockdown or a ban on district travels but urged people to remain cautious.
Silva told a media briefing in capital Colombo that there had been a rise in patients due to the recently concluded local new year celebrations which had resulted in a spread of the virus.
"We urge people to avoid unnecessary travel and remain home, especially during the weekend. Strict health guidelines must be followed including wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing as the coming two weeks will be very critical," Silva said.
Health Minister Pavithra Wanniarachchi said the country's health system was ready to face the increasing number of patients while ICU beds were also available. The minister urged people to assist the authorities in preventing a rapid spread by adhering to the health guidelines.
Sri Lanka has to date detected 99,518 positive COVID-19 cases while 634 deaths from the virus have been reported. Enditem