KHARTOUM, Jan. 29 (Xinhua) -- Sudan summoned the U.S. Charge d'Affaires in Khartoum Steven Koutsis on Sunday to protest a decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to restrict the entry of Sudanese citizens into the United States.
"The U.S. Charge d'Affaires has been summoned where he met with Foreign Ministry's Under-Secretary Abdul-Ghani Al-Naeem regarding the executive order issued by U.S. President Donald Trump to restrict the entry of Sudanese citizens, among nationals of seven countries, into the United States," said Sudan's Foreign Ministry in a statement.
"The under-secretary expressed the Sudanese government's dismay over the procedures taken against the Sudanese citizens," the statement said.
"The Sudanese government regards it as a negative message under the positive developments of bilateral ties, particularly after the lifting of economic sanctions on Sudan and under the long-standing cooperation between the two countries in combating terrorism."
The ministry reiterated Sudan's keenness to continue dialogue and cooperation with the U.S. on regional issues of mutual concern.
"Sudan is waiting for the U.S. government to lift Sudan's name from the list of countries sponsoring terrorism and reconsider the executive order which restricted the entry of the Sudanese citizens into the United States," said the statement.
On Saturday, Sudan expressed regret over a decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to restrict the access of the Sudanese into the United States.
On Jan. 13, former U.S. President Barack Obama issued a decision to cancel two executive orders imposing economic sanctions on Sudan.
The United States has been imposing sanctions on Sudan since 1997 and putting it on its list of countries sponsoring terrorism since 1993.
Since then, Washington has been renewing its sanctions on Sudan due to the continuing war in Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan regions in addition to a number of outstanding issues with South Sudan, such as the territorial dispute over the oil-rich Abyei area.