WINDHOEK, March 14 (Xinhua) -- Fourteen people have died of malaria so far this month in Namibia, while more than 7,000 others are affected.
Addressing a media briefing in Windhoek Tuesday, health minister Bernard Haufiku said because of the critical nature of the situation, the government has set aside 12.3 million Namibia dollars for prevention.
Haufiku said the ministry would need another 7 million Namibian dollars (530,000 U.S. dollars) if the efforts to prevent and eliminate malaria is to succeed.
He said the money would be used to set up regional teams that will support the national malaria program's technical staff.
The regional teams, he said, will be deployed to the villages for early diagnosis and treatment as well as vector control.
"These services will be brought to the village level to ensure high coverage and mitigation of the outbreak," Haufiku said, adding that people should not wait until they fall sick.
The regions most affected are Kavango East and West, Ohangwena as well as the Zambezi.