BUJUMBURA, April 17 (Xinhua) -- Gunmen on Monday night attacked a village in western Burundi, killing two persons and injuring three others, witnesses told Xinhua on Tuesday.
Burundian Minister of Security Alain Guillaume Bunyoni confirmed the attack, in Karwema village in Bubanza province, but didn't give casualty figures.
Gunmen in military uniforms attacked the village at around 8 p.m., said a woman whose son was killed in the attack.
"They shot dead my son and burned our house before running away," she said.
One person had been killed at her neighbors' house and three others had been seriously injured, she added.
Other witnesses said a truck carrying cement heading to the Burundian capital Bujumbura from Cibitoke province was ambushed in the village.
Villages near the Rukoko forest reserve have witnessed several ambushes near the road linking Bujumbura to Cibitoke, often by gunmen who then flee to neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.